The secret to the success of La Crosse County 4-H’s Youth Development Program is its volunteers – youth or adult, we couldn’t do it without you! All that’s needed to become a 4-H volunteer is an interest in 4-H, a passion to learn more about 4-H, and dedication to our 4-H youth.
Become an Adult Volunteer
All 4-H adult volunteers must complete the following requirements as dictated by the State of Wisconsin in regards to working with UW-Extension youth. If a volunteer does not complete these requirements, they will not be allowed to chaperone, work with, or lead 4-H youth on any event or program. This is for the safety and security of our youth and leaders. Please note that these requirements are likely to change from year to year based on the State of Wisconsin’s ever-changing laws and mandates, so check back often or give us a call to make sure you are up to date with your volunteer status! It is the job of UW-Extension 4-H staff to make your experience as a volunteer a pleasant and rewarding one, as well as provide you with the resources you need to help shape our youth into well-rounded and independent thinkers.
Current 4-H Adult Volunteer Requirements:
- Create a profile in 4HOnline
- Submit to a background check
- Part of creating your 4HOnline profile will require you to submit to a background check conducted by the State of Wisconsin. Within 15 days of creating your 4HOnline profile, you will receive an email from the GIS system asking you to confirm your background check by entering in your personal information. It’s very important you keep an eye on your junk and spam folders during this time period as the email often gets sent there. You have only 5 days to respond to the GIS email upon receiving it.
- Attend V.I.P. Training
- V.I.P. Training stand for Volunteers in Preparation Training. This training is held at the UW-Extension office several times throughout the year. It is a one-time, face to face training that lasts about an hour and is given in a presentation format. You only have to complete this training one-time, not every year.
- The next V.I.P. Training will be offered on Monday, June 4th, 2018 at 6:00 p.m. RSVP is appreciated.
- Take Mandated Reporter Training
- This training is taken through your 4HOnline profile. It is a self-guided, media module that talks about the importance of reporting signs of abuse while working with youth. This training usually takes people about an hour, but it does not have to be completed in one sitting. It will save your spot for you to come back and finish later. The UW-Extension office will automatically get notified once you complete this training. Directions on how to complete this training are below.
- Mandated Reporter Training Instructions
Become a Youth Volunteer
4-H youth are offered different volunteer opportunities throughout the year in their projects and clubs. Some examples of youth volunteer roles include:
- Serving as a club officer
- Assisting leaders and judges at events
- Joining 4-H Ambassadors
- Planning Project activities with mentors
- Clerking at the La Crosse Interstate Fair
Please visit the Youth Leadership page to learn more about how youth can serve La Crosse County 4-H.
The Leaders Board is still looking for a member to represent West Salem 4-H. Would you like to weigh in on important decisions for the future of 4-H? Consider joining the Board! If you or someone you know is interested in this opportunity, please contact the UW-Extension office for more details.
The La Crosse County Dairy Promotions Committee is looking for helpers at their Ice Cream Shoppe tent at June Dairy Days in West Salem on Friday, June 1st-Sunday, June 3rd. Clubs are invited to lend a hand! Visit the Sign Up Genius to lend a hand. Questions can be directed to email@example.com. Thank you in advance!
Currently, there is a need for breakfast workers to help out in several areas during the La Crosse County Dairy Breakfast on Saturday, June 16th. Shifts are 5:30-8:30 a.m., 8:30-11:30 a.m., and 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. If you are interested in representing 4-H and your club, or for more information, contact Melissa Schaub at 608-487-4012 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
La Crosse County 4-H will also be hosting a booth at this event to help raise awareness of all the great things 4-H has to offer. If you are interested in helping out in this book, please contact the Leaders Board Bangor Representative, Lyndsi Heitkamp at email@example.com.