The secret to the success of La Crosse County 4-H’s Youth Development Program is its volunteers – youth or adult, we couldn’t do it without you! All that’s needed to become a 4-H volunteer is an interest in 4-H, a passion to learn more about 4-H, and dedication to our 4-H youth.
Become an Adult Volunteer
All 4-H adult volunteers must complete the following requirements as dictated by the State of Wisconsin in regards to working with UW-Extension youth. If a volunteer does not complete these requirements, they will not be allowed to chaperone, work with, or lead 4-H youth on any event or program. This is for the safety and security of our youth and leaders. Please note that these requirements are likely to change from year to year based on the State of Wisconsin’s ever-changing laws and mandates, so check back often or give us a call to make sure you are up to date with your volunteer status! It is the job of UW-Extension 4-H staff to make your experience as a volunteer a pleasant and rewarding one, as well as provide you with the resources you need to help shape our youth into well-rounded and independent thinkers.
Current 4-H Adult Volunteer Requirements:
- Create a profile in 4HOnline
- Submit to a background check
- Part of creating your 4HOnline profile will require you to submit to a background check conducted by the State of Wisconsin. Within 15 days of creating your 4HOnline profile, you will receive an email from the GIS system asking you to confirm your background check by entering in your personal information. It’s very important you keep an eye on your junk and spam folders during this time period as the email often gets sent there. You have only 5 days to respond to the GIS email upon receiving it.
- Attend V.I.P. Training
- V.I.P. Training stand for Volunteers in Preparation Training. This training is held at the UW-Extension office several times throughout the year. It is a one-time, face to face training that lasts about an hour and is given in a presentation format. You only have to complete this training one-time, not every year.
- The next V.I.P. Training will be offered on Thursday, January 10th at 5:00 p.m. RSVP is appreciated.
- Take Mandated Reporter Training
- This training is taken through your 4HOnline profile. It is a self-guided, media module that talks about the importance of reporting signs of abuse while working with youth. This training usually takes people about an hour, but it does not have to be completed in one sitting. It will save your spot for you to come back and finish later. The UW-Extension office will automatically get notified once you complete this training. Directions on how to complete this training are below.
- Mandated Reporter Training Instructions
Become a Youth Volunteer
4-H youth are offered different volunteer opportunities throughout the year in their projects and clubs. Some examples of youth volunteer roles include:
- Serving as a club officer
- Assisting leaders and judges at events
- Joining 4-H Ambassadors
- Planning Project activities with mentors
- Clerking at the La Crosse Interstate Fair
Please visit the Youth Leadership page to learn more about how youth can serve La Crosse County 4-H.
The Wisconsin State 4-H Office is currently accepting applications for adult volunteers, advisors and chaperones for the following 2019 programs: Citizenship Washington Focus, National Congress, National 4-H Conference, Space Camp, Wisconsin 4-H & Youth Conference, and more! Regardless of the program you want to assist with, all applicants must apply through 4HOnline. A complete application is due by 4:30 p.m. on Friday, February 19th, 2019 to the State Office. For more details and complete information, visit https://fyi.uwex.edu/wi4hedopp/adult-advisors/
The West Salem 4-H Club, Salem Seekers, is looking for a new club leader to take over beginning in September 2019. If you or someone you know may be interested in serving in this role, please contact the La Crosse County UW-Extension office at 608-785-9593 or LaCrosseCounty4H@lacrossecounty.org.
The Expressive Arts Festival is set for Saturday, March 9th, 2019. At this time, we are looking for volunteer judges for all categories: Music, Theatre, Arts & Crafts, Photography and Speaking. Judges must be able to fill in by hand pre-made evaluation sheets while watching youth perform. Judges are compensated for their time at this event. To sign-up, contact the La Crosse County UW-Extension office today!
Annual Volunteer Training
In order to be compliant with 4-H Charter standards, the State 4-H Office and La Crosse County UW-Extension hosts annual leader training. It is required that each chartered club or group send at least 1 adult volunteer representative to attend one of the following sessions:.
- Monday, January 7th, 2019 at 4:00-6:00 p.m.
- Friday, January 18th, 2019 at 7:00-9:00 p.m.
This year’s training is called “All Together, Not the Same,” and will focus on how to be more inclusive in your club and project. All trainings will be held at the UW-Extension office (212 6th St. N, Ste 2200, La Crosse, WI 54601). To register for a training session, please call the UW-Extension office at 608-785-9593 or email LaCrosseCounty4H@lacrossecounty.org.