The secret to the success of La Crosse County 4-H’s Youth Development Program is its volunteers – youth or adult, we couldn’t do it without you! All that’s needed to become a 4-H volunteer is an interest in 4-H, a passion to learn more about 4-H, and dedication to our 4-H youth.
Become an Adult Volunteer
All 4-H adult volunteers must complete the following requirements as dictated by the State of Wisconsin in regards to working with UW-Extension youth. If a volunteer does not complete these requirements, they will not be allowed to chaperone, work with, or lead 4-H youth on any event or program. This is for the safety and security of our youth and leaders. Please note that these requirements are likely to change from year to year based on the State of Wisconsin’s ever-changing laws and mandates, so check back often or give us a call to make sure you are up to date with your volunteer status! It is the job of UW-Extension 4-H staff to make your experience as a volunteer a pleasant and rewarding one, as well as provide you with the resources you need to help shape our youth into well-rounded and independent thinkers.
Current 4-H Adult Volunteer Requirements:
- Create a profile in 4HOnline
- Submit to a background check
- Part of creating your 4HOnline profile will require you to submit to a background check conducted by the State of Wisconsin. Within 15 days of creating your 4HOnline profile, you will receive an email from the GIS system asking you to confirm your background check by entering in your personal information. It’s very important you keep an eye on your junk and spam folders during this time period as the email often gets sent there. You have only 5 days to respond to the GIS email upon receiving it.
- Attend V.I.P. Training
- V.I.P. Training stand for Volunteers in Preparation Training. This training is held at the UW-Extension office several times throughout the year. It is a one-time, face to face training that lasts about an hour and is given in a presentation format. You only have to complete this training one-time, not every year.
- The next V.I.P. Training will be offered on Monday, August 13th, 2018 at 7:00 p.m. RSVP is appreciated.
- Take Mandated Reporter Training
- This training is taken through your 4HOnline profile. It is a self-guided, media module that talks about the importance of reporting signs of abuse while working with youth. This training usually takes people about an hour, but it does not have to be completed in one sitting. It will save your spot for you to come back and finish later. The UW-Extension office will automatically get notified once you complete this training. Directions on how to complete this training are below.
- Mandated Reporter Training Instructions
Become a Youth Volunteer
4-H youth are offered different volunteer opportunities throughout the year in their projects and clubs. Some examples of youth volunteer roles include:
- Serving as a club officer
- Assisting leaders and judges at events
- Joining 4-H Ambassadors
- Planning Project activities with mentors
- Clerking at the La Crosse Interstate Fair
Please visit the Youth Leadership page to learn more about how youth can serve La Crosse County 4-H.
The Pump House 4-H Exhibit Artist’s Reception is coming up on Tuesday, September 18th from 5:00-7:00 p.m. at the Pump House (119 King St., La Crosse, WI 54601). A couple volunteers are needed to help coordinate this event! Traditionally, some sort of refreshment is provided (generously funded by the Leaders Board) and a few decorations are hung as well as toast to the artists. If party planning is up your alley, please reach out to us – we’d love to have you!
The UW-Extension office is looking for volunteers to come help out fellow club/group leaders with Charter renewal paperwork on Monday, August 20th from 4:00-7:00 p.m. Even just giving an hour would be a huge help! Volunteers need not be familiar with paperwork – we can show you everything you need to look for! Call our office at 608-785-9593 and ask for Rebecca if you think this is something you could help with. Thank you in advance!